Five years later....

The weather has just been hateful around here and it was getting a bit depressing watching it rain/slush all week.  The drudgery of the weekday-routine was getting to everybody.

But today, my sweet friend sent me these pictures from about 5 years ago and it was so nice to see and remember Essy as a smiling toddler and the boys as little guys.  Sometimes my memories are painted with regrets about all the things I wish we had done or the (many) times I've yelled at the kids .... and all those other accusations that satan sends my way.  Pictures like this remind me that God has granted my family a very blessed, very joyful life.  All these first world problems are pretty pathetic in light of the shortness of our earthly lives. 

2 Samuel 14:14 "We must all die; we are like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again. But God will not take away life, and he devises means so that the banished one will not remain an outcast."

God, in his kindness, has surely "devised a means" in Jesus Christ so that we will not be outcasts for ever.  This earthy melancholy and longing for "something greater" will be satiated.  We can just taste it occasionally.